At Dental on George, we offer two kinds of teeth whitening: in-chair and take-home.
Both are non-invasive treatments that lift stains from the pores of teeth and lighten the colour of natural tooth enamel, leading to the appearance of whiter, brighter teeth.
What is the difference between In-Chair Teeth Whitening and Take-Home Teeth Whitening?
In-chair teeth whitening is the quickest dental solution for whitening teeth and removing or reducing stains and discolouration. It typically involves the application of whitening product directly onto the teeth and the use of heat, a special light or laser to activate and/or accelerate the whitening agent. With in-chair teeth whitening, results are typically achieved within one 30-60 minute dental appointment so it is an ideal solution for people wanting instant results.
Take-home teeth whitening, meanwhile, is a cost-effective solution involving the creation of a customised mouth tray to which whitening product is added. The mouth tray is taken home with the whitening product and worn on the teeth at specific intervals over a period of up to 14 days.
Why may I need Teeth Whitening?
It is an appropriate treatment for people with wear to the outer tooth layer (enamel) or extrinsic stains on the teeth of a yellow, brown appearance, typically caused by smoking or the consumption of coffee, wine, and cola and some foods.
Advantages of in-chair teeth whitening
- Dentists typically use whitening products that contain stronger concentrations of hydrogen peroxide compared with off-the-shelf or take-home products. This ensures results within one 30-60 minute dental treatment.
- Dentists apply the whitening agent directly to the teeth so that the use of mouth trays, such as those provided in take-home and off-the-shelf whitening kits, is unnecessary.
- Dentists supervise the treatment and can control the amount of whitening that occurs.
- Dentists typically use a rubber shield to protect the gums from the whitening product.
- Dentist can better match the types of stains with the best treatments, leading to better results.
Advantages of take-home teeth whitening
- Custom-fitted mouth trays (made from impressions taken by the dentist) ensure maximum contact between the whitening product, which is applied to the mouth tray, and the teeth.
- Custom-fitted mouth trays minimise contact of the whitening gel with the gum tissue.
- The whitening product is milder than products used within dental surgeries, leading to less tooth sensitivity and control over the shade of white that is achieved.
- Take-home teeth whitening is more affordable than in-chair teeth whitening performed within dental surgeries.
- Teeth whitening is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Teeth whitening will only work on natural teeth and extrinsic stains.
- Teeth whitening is not permanent and the degree of whiteness will vary from individual to individual depending on the condition of the teeth and the type of whitening system used.
- Positive results from take-home teeth whitening rely on compliance with the at-home portion of the treatment protocol.
- The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability for take-home teeth whitening.